Bird policy towards non RFC-compliant workarounds.

Arnaud Houdelette-Langlois arnaud.houdelette at normandie-univ.fr
Fri May 12 21:36:55 CEST 2023

Hi.

I have an issue with the BGP implementation of a well-known hardware
manufacturer.

Said implementation send multiple Add-Path capabilities, one for each
address family, instead of sending only one capability with both address
families. Moreover, it expects it's BGP peer to behave identically.

If bird manages to understand the badly formatted open message, the said
BGP implementation fails and reject bird (well-formed) message.

The manufacturer is informed, but has still to provide a working patch.

In the meantime, I think it would be easy to implement a workaround as a
bgp protocol option in bird. I'm ready to dive into the code to do it.
But ...

Is it bird policy to accept such workaround pull requests ?

--
Arnaud Houdelette-Langlois
Administrateur des infrastructures systèmes et réseaux