BIRD 3.0alpha2

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Fri May 12 21:47:44 CEST 2023

Hello!
> Thank you for giving us the opportunity to test. So far I spotted only
> few flaws:

Thank you for testing and reporting. Your inputs are appreciated.

> 1. Routes with unknown attributes which are abusively
> extending/violating BGP protocol are still rejected.
>
> rtr bird[98404]: bgp_r_v4: Malformed bgp_unknown_0xff attribute -
> conflicting flags (e0, expected 80)
>
> rtr bird[98404]: bgp_v_v4: Malformed bgp_unknown_0x24 attribute -
> conflicting flags (e0, expected 80)
>
> BIRD 2.13 accepts these routes and shows attributes this way:
>
> BGP.ff [t]: 00 00 07 db 00 00 00 01 00 01 00 0a ff 08 00 00 00 00 ea 44
> 42 79
>
> BGP.24 [t]: 01 00 00 11 5c 00 01 46

Will look into it. We don't have this part of BIRD covered by automatic
tests so I'll probably have to create some.

> 2. MTR protocol won't compile with clang.

Yes. MRT is switched off because it hasn't been converted to the new
APIs yet, sorry. Its switch-on is waiting for updates of BMP in v2
branch to merge BMP into v3 and then convert both BMP and MRT to v3 APIs
at once. This should happen in several months.

> 3. OSPFv3 regression or verbosity increased:
>
> v6_ospf: Bad DBDES packet from nbr 172.xx.y.254 on vlan2 - too late for
> DD exchange (7)

This should be a harmless message which happens sometimes also in v2,
thus we postponed debugging of this message to some later time.

> Memory footprint with Netlink on FreeBSD is almost similar to known from
> BIRD 2.13, maybe only 5-10% higher, memory leak known from alpha 1 was
> fixed.

Good news I read. I'm happy that the memory leak is gone. The memory
footprint may be slightly higher compared to 2.13, mostly due to
different storage of nexthops and several other attributes. Also note
that v3 uses more of address space than actual pages, contrary to v2.

Once again, thank you a lot for testing.
Maria