Transition from BIRD 1 to 2

Robert Sander r.sander at heinlein-support.de
Fri Oct 13 16:30:27 CEST 2023

Hi,

please help me understand the configuration logic for BIRD2.

In BIRD 1 we have a config file common.conf that gets included from
bird.conf and bird6.conf. It holds common configuration applicable to
both IPv4 and IPv6 like this:

table bgpext;

protocol pipe p_bgpext {
         table master;
         peer table bgpext;
         import all;
         export none;
}

For BIRD2 I seem to have to rewrite that simple configuration to:

ipv4 table bgpext4;
ipv6 table bgpext6;

protocol pipe p_bgpext4 {
         table master4;
         peer table bgpext4;
         import all;
         export none;
}

protocol pipe p_bgpext6 {
         table master6;
         peer table bgpext6;
         import all;
         export none;
}

Why do I have to double the configuration now?
Did I miss something?

This is a quite simple example. There are more complex protocol
templates and filter functions that all would have to be doubled.

Kindest Regards
--
Robert Sander
Heinlein Consulting GmbH

https://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg - HRB 220009 B
Geschäftsführer: Peer Heinlein - Sitz: Berlin