L3VPN and BGP add-path

Marcel Menzel mail at mcl.gg
Sun Feb 25 23:04:07 CET 2024

Hello List,

I am running the new MPLS L3VPN feature for quite a while now, and it's
working without issues so far for me, but I have one question:

I set "add paths on;" on my iBGP peer template in all SAFIs and while it
was running successfully before the migration to L3VPN, the additional
routes in the RIB are now gone, but the capabilities are still exchanged
between peers.
Furthermore, I can't set "add paths on;" property for any SAFI in the
L3VPN protocol, this might be the reason why those additional routes are
missing?

My only question now is if this just hasn't been implemented yet with
BIRD (I am just being curious hence I'm asking), my config is something
missing or this being the general fact that add-path with MPLS L3VPN
simply is not a thing with other vendors aswell (to be fair, I've never
seen an L3VPN network with add-path enabled in production so far).

Thanks for the heads-up in advance,

Marcel