IPv6 routes not imported into Kernel

Gerdriaan Mulder gmulder+birdcz at freedom.nl
Wed Feb 28 12:02:29 CET 2024

Hi Robert,

On 27/02/2024 22:58, Robert Finze wrote:
> In the meantime I've setup a clean new VM with Ubuntu 22.04 and the same
> issues occurred.
> I've upgraded that new VM to 24.04 and still the same.
>
> Next I want to try a fresh 20.04 install and see what happens.

I would try a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 with the same kernel as the
machine that currently works, indeed. If the problem goes away, it might
be an issue between Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04. If the problem persists, it
might be some subtle configuration difference. I wouldn't yet upgrade to
BIRD 3.0alpha because that changes too many variables in order to debug
the problem.

 >> ip -6 route add 2607:ff00:b::/40 via 2a0e:3940:dead::1 table 254
protocol bird scope global src 2a0e:3940:1000::2 dev 2
>> - where dev 2 indicates the network interface with index 2, this is probably ens20 in your setup?
>
> It should be ens19. I'm currently not sure how to verify that.
> "ip a" shows:
>
> 1: lo
> 2: ens18
> 3: ens19
> 4: ens20
> 5: dummy0

The number before ":" is the interface index. It seems BIRD wants to add
the route on device ens18 (at least, at the time).

Besides, in your initial post, you pasted a few routes from BIRD that
were using protocols "upstream_1v6" and "upstream_2v6". They seem to be
missing from the bird.conf you posted. The route addition in the netlink
dump is different from the routes you showed in BIRD, which makes it
more difficult to pinpoint the problem.

I think it's a good idea to focus on getting just one route exported
from BIRD to the kernel successfully. If it's possible in your setup,
perhaps just configure 1 upstream, and only import 1 route from that
upstream in BIRD, and export the same route through the kernel protocol.

Best regards,
Gerdriaan Mulder