Q: rpki feed failure

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Thu Feb 29 10:28:12 CET 2024

> On 29 Feb 2024, at 09:48, Elmar K. Bins via Bird-users <bird-users at network.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi friends,
>
> a probably simple question that I haven't found any documentation about, so...
>
> We're using Cloudflare's RPKI cache from our BIRD instances, but since
> yesterday I'm getting an error info in `show protocols`:
>
> rpki1      RPKI       ---        up     15:33:17.594 Cache-Error-No-Data-Available
>
> What does the error message mean? Does the remote side not have data available,
> or is this about some local issue?

Checking the code:
https://gitlab.nic.cz/labs/bird/-/blob/master/proto/rpki/rpki.c#L279

Seems like it.

> I'd like to clear this up before I ask Cloudflare...

Instead heavily suggest running 2 stayrtr instances yourself. What if you lose connectivity to the outside world?

For AS57777 I generate IRR data rpki-client and rsync rpki-client.json every 10 minutes to my 2 stayrtr instances.

If the rpki-client hosts goes down, then they do not update the rpki-client.json as there is no new one, but stayrtr stays up and running.

If I upgrade stayrtr, there is always the second one up and running. Scale to more nodes for more resiliency :).

On top I run another set of stayrtr instances for IRR data, need to write that down still how that setup now finally works.

Greets,
 Jeroen