Direct vs kernel 'learn all'

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Thu Jan 11 17:48:55 CET 2024

Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 10:48:54AM +0000, Chris Webb wrote:
>> Is there any reason/situation to prefer either the direct protocol or
>> 'learn all' on the v4/v6 kernel protocol?
>
> That is a good point. we do not have any explicit intention with that,
> but it makes more sense to use ones learned from the kernel protocol, as
> they are more likely to be consistent with the kernel routing table.
> Although they have bad (too low) preference.

Ah yes, I'd missed the default priority difference because I always
override it to 240 for my kernel4 and kernel6 protocols anyway, to match
the direct protocol default priority. For me, the routes coming in as
RTS_INHERIT are never inherited from other routing daemons but are extra
'device-like' routes added to the kernel with ip route for things like
virtual machines and other network namespaces.

Best wishes,

Chris.