Strict Bind usability

Sebastian Hahn bird_users at sebastianhahn.net
Mon Mar 11 06:07:25 CET 2024

> On 7. Feb 2024, at 00:02, Sebastian Hahn <bird_users at sebastianhahn.net> wrote:
>> On 6. Feb 2024, at 19:33, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would like to use dynamic bgp (using a range for neighbour) with
>>> auto-configured LL IPv6 adresses. This doesn't work, of course, if I need
>>> to statically configure the source address, which I am forced to with the
>>> strict bind option. I am wondering, is this restriction really needed?
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> You are right, this is something that could be easily changed. Will look at it.
>
> That would be awesome :)

Hi Ondrej,

I didn't see the feature in the 2.15 release announcement so I tried to take a
look myself. A simple config patch (attached) seems to be working for me, but
I am not sure if it is correct in all circumstances. I don't have any expansive
test setup to try it.

As an aside, while using dynamic bgp, I think the ergonomics could be improved.
When using birdc, the spawned dynamic protocol has a name like "dynbgp1" etc,
completely unrelated to the original passive protocol that spawned it. Also,
the passive protocol is shown with state down, regardless of whether a protocol
was spawned from it or not. Should I look into trying to create a relationship
between passive protocols and those it spawned and export it via birdc?

Thanks
Sebastian