Adding a downstream ebgp connection. How to keep it separate?

Tim Weippert weiti+bird-users at weiti.org
Wed Mar 20 08:36:10 CET 2024

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 12:22:52AM +0100, LU wrote:
> Or to keep the question short: Best way/practices to add a downstream eBGP
> session (to transit a prefix/traffic to a customer) so that it doesn't
> clash with my existing network on the same router(s).

AS you stated here transit to customer, the question is, does your
routing table (existing) consists of routing which interfere with the
upstream?

If not, it is simple to filter the routes also to the
downstream/customer to reflect what you will give to him.

If you rely here on only filtering or use bird tables with pipes to
filter is something ... it depends on your requirements.

I normally use bird peer tables and pipe from master with filters to had
a table holding the customer view and also had the chance to filter
directly to/from the customer.

If the customer should follow a different routing policy as your own
routing, then it is bit more complicate, but this is nothing i read on
your messages.

> Thanks.

HTH,
tim

--
Tim Weippert
http://weiti.org - weiti at weiti.org
GPG Fingerprint - E704 7303 6FF0 8393 ADB1  398E 67F2 94AE 5995 7DD8