[2.14] show route not showing all tables (rpki)

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Fri Mar 22 15:57:23 CET 2024

Hello Elmar,

On 2024-03-22 08:40, Elmar K. Bins via Bird-users wrote:
> santiago at crfreenet.org  (Ondrej Zajicek) wrote:
>> The command 'show route' by default shows the first table for each
>> network type. Use 'show route table all' if you want all tables.
> Nonetheless, this is bizarre and unexpected behaviour.
> I suppose there is a good reason for it?

The original reasons for this are historical, carried from BIRD 1 where
show routewithout tableoption showed only the mastertable.

For BIRD 2, we extrapolated that to show at most one table per network
type. These design choices are always some kind of looking for
equilibrium – if you have 1K+ tables, you typically don'ŧ want to dump
them all. OTOH, in your case, it would make better sense to show all of
them. Where is the boundary?

While writing this and thinking about it, what if we made it
configurable, to let you say for each table whether show by defaultor not?

Best regards,
Maria

--
Maria Matejka (she/her) | BIRD Team Leader | CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.