Export shows new filters after "configure soft" before any update

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Fri Mar 22 17:00:00 CET 2024

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 03:56:12PM +0100, Inrin via Bird-users wrote:
> Hiho,
>
> I noticed that `birdc show route export <proto>` after a `configure soft`
> shows the state with the new export filter, even if no update ocurred.
> The PCAP also shows, as long as no external update comes in, no updates
> are send out on the wire.
>
> Using export tables makes it possible to see the "real" state.
> For example, until a new external update or a `reload out` it shows the
> "old filter" state.
>
> For import filters it's different.
> It shows the "old" state until an external update comes in or `reload in` is
> used. With or without import tables or `keep filtered on`.
>
> Since the help states:
>     configure soft ["<file>"] [timeout [<sec>]]    Reload configuration and ignore changes in filters
> it should be like for the import case and show the "old" state until an
> update comes in or `reload out` is used.
>
> Finally to my question:
> Is this behaviour intentional?

Hi

It is intentional. Unless explicitly requested by 'show route import
table' or 'show route export table', we use data from regular routing
tables for this commands. Therefore, it shows routes that either
really are in the routing table (i.e. 'old' state when import filters
are changed), or compute current export filter for 'show route export'.
We have to use the current export filter, as after reconfigure we do
not keep the old one.

> Best would be to even make it possible to ignore the new filters until
> manual reload, but thats probably a bigger change ;)

Yes, that is something that would make more sense.