Hi!

On Tue, Aug 25, 2026 at 12:28:10AM +0200, Christoph via Bird-users wrote:

we have 3 BGP upstreams

  1. direct

  2. multihop

  3. multihop

  4. always wins against b) and c) even if the AS path length is equal in all 3 cases.

What is the recommended way to tell BIRD 3.3.x that it should consider them as if they were all direct and ignore the fact that some are multihop? goal: ECMP routes get installed for all 3 upstreams when their properties match.

I’m not sure what to do; maybe changing the direct one to formally multihop may help but that would need a little more configuration, probably adding the direct protocol or a static route to that hop.

Generally, I would recommend the Aggregator protocol but constructing ECMP next hops is not yet possible in our filter engine (but we are finally working on the tasks blocking that implementation). I would expect that you get this functionality in BIRD 3.5 and 2.21 as 3.4 and 2.20 are too near to get this finished in time probably.

Have nice day!
Maria

–
Maria Matejka (she/her) | BIRD Team Leader | CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.