BIRD taking 50% CPU with RIP and 90 Routes

Pavel Machek pavel at suse.cz
Thu Jun 15 23:32:49 CEST 2000

Hi!

> i have seen a very high load produced by bird on one of
> my machines. I am basically using the beneath config.

You are running bird on more than one machine? Wow!

> I think it has something to do with a misconfigured device
> not having enabled Split Horizon. The Ascend Max announced
> the local ethernet ip address so bird deleted the local ethernet
> route but couldnt add the route with a gateway because the
> kernel returned "host unreachble". With this configuration

Should bird delete local ethernet route under any circumstances?

> and 12 hours runtime the process grew to 25MB (With only ~90 Routes)
> and took at least 50% CPU time. Somebody got an idea ?

rip is set into quiet mode, so it should not cause any kind of packet
storm. I do not know what is going on.

--
I'm pavel at ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss at linmodems.org