init scripts

Luben Karavelov luben at bgone.net
Fri Apr 27 15:30:14 CEST 2001

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 01:53:32PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> I was looking at the debian package this morning and the last
> suggestion using --make-pidfile doesnt work (I was wondering
> i didnt check before) but bird forks.

--make-pidfile is for maintenance of daemons than cannot be stopped in
their own way. I think that the default stop sequence in the init scrip:

echo down | /usr/sbin/birdc >/dev/null

is OK unless you have not installed the bird client.

> I like this approach as its a default way to get the debugging/stats
> output - Just to mention - You would also need a logrotate cron.d
> entry ...

yes, the file must be rotated, but I'm not sure if it have to restart
bird or just reconfigure it in order to begin writing in the new log file?
restarting is a "bad thing", especially if it is a BGP router, so it must not
be done every day.

> I'll put together a new package.
>
> BTW: Does anyone know for a better check for rtnetlink support than
> this ?
>
> if [ -d /proc -a  -z "`cat /proc/ksyms | grep rtnetlink`" ]; then

why another way, I think it's OK in this manner.

> Flo
> --
> Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-5201-669912
>      Why is it called "common sense" when nobody seems to have any?

luben
Luben Karavelov                    [phone] +359 2 9877088
Network Administrator
[PGP] http://www.bgone.net/pgp/luben.asc  [ICQ#] 34741625