BIRD & production BGP?

Damjan gdamjan at mail.net.mk
Thu Aug 7 19:35:19 CEST 2003

> I'm wondering if anyone has deployed BIRD as a BGP routing daemon in a
> production environment?
>
> Any feedback on it's stability would be appreciated.

Yes, I'm using it as BGP router. I have two peers that I connect to.
I'm filtering the full BGP route table, because I don't need it, so I
dont know how bird will act in such situation.

Now I'm using 1.0.5 (on Slackware 8.1 Linux)...
when I tried 1.0.6 it didn't work for some reason and I imediatelly
changed back to 1.0.5 because it is in production use.

I'v also had one oter issue with bird. Sometimes, rarely-but it happens,
when I'm disconnected to the peer (ex. satellite link down) - bird while
trying to reconnect would garble the IP address of the peer. Then I
would have to kill and restart bird. This has happened some 4-5 times
(I think) in 2 years, and I don't know how to reproduce it...

Luckilly that I was present at those times at my BGP server, so I could
see and repair the situation.

I also couldn't find any connection of the original peer address and the
mistaken one bird was trying to connect to.

--
Damjan Georgievski