RIP multicast is receiving, but can't transmit

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Jun 12 12:28:53 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:28:55PM +0200, Stéphan Kochen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm setting up a test environment with Ubuntu 10.04 and BIRD 1.2.3 from
> the PPA. First step was to try and get a simple static route announced
> with RIP. This is the small test configuration I'm working with:

> > 11-06-2010 13:18:29 <TRACE> rip1: Broadcasting routing table to eth0
> > 11-06-2010 13:18:29 <ERR> rip1: Unexpected error at rip transmit: Invalid argument
> > 11-06-2010 13:18:29 <ERR> rip1: Unexpected error at rip transmit: Unknown error 18446744073709551615
>

> And is there something simple I'm missing to get RIP to work?

In truth, RIP code in BIRD is mostly legacy and was not tested
during recent development. It seems that some recent changes
in multicasts broke RIP in multicast mode. RIP in broadcast
mode seems to work (at least on Linux, not on BSD). You can
switch RIP to use broadcasts or wait for a patch, i will fix
this problem soon.

As most of acute problems in BGP and OSPF are fixed now,
i would start to test and fix bugs in RIP.

> The code is littered with DBG statements that I cannot seem to enable
> in the output. I tried a manual build with --enable-debug, and I'm
> running bird in the foreground with -d, but I'm still not seeing them.
> What is the proper way to get to this information?

You have to change '#undef LOCAL_DEBUG' to '#define LOCAL_DEBUG' in
rip.c to enable DBG statements. But the problem is probably in
interaction of RIP code and generic platform code.