RIP multicast is receiving, but can't transmit

Stéphan Kochen stephan at kochen.nl
Sat Jun 19 22:18:18 CEST 2010

Ondrej,

Noticed I hadn't responded yet.

On za, 2010-06-12 at 12:28 +0200, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> In truth, RIP code in BIRD is mostly legacy and was not tested
> during recent development. It seems that some recent changes
> in multicasts broke RIP in multicast mode. RIP in broadcast
> mode seems to work (at least on Linux, not on BSD). You can
> switch RIP to use broadcasts or wait for a patch, i will fix
> this problem soon.
>
> As most of acute problems in BGP and OSPF are fixed now,
> i would start to test and fix bugs in RIP.

That's good to know, though RIP was only a test for me. I'm planning to
use it for BGP and OSPF. So don't feel pressed just because I asked. :)

Last week, I took the leap of faith and installed BIRD on our new
secondary border router. It's only learning from BGP sessions now, and
not announcing yet, nor exporting to kernel. But it's importing quite a
lot of routes just fine.

Coming from a very basic Quagga install, the clear documentation and
configuration language has given me confidence in BIRD. And I think I
finally have a good picture of how BGP operates thanks to it as well.

> You have to change '#undef LOCAL_DEBUG' to '#define LOCAL_DEBUG' in
> rip.c to enable DBG statements. But the problem is probably in
> interaction of RIP code and generic platform code.

Okay. Might still come in useful.

Thanks for the quick response, and for a great routing daemon!

-- Stéphan Kochen