Feature requests

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Wed May 18 10:33:55 CEST 2011

--On 18 May 2011 10:02:18 +0200 Tore Anderson
<tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com> wrote:

> FWIW, Keepalived's VRRP implementation has a feature which allows it to
> 1) specify any arbitrary source address in the VRRP hellos, e.g. the
> loopback interface's, and 2) define the virtual address with a netmask.

That sounds useful.

> This probably breaks RFC compliance and interoperability with other
> implementations, but it does allow you to run VRRP on unnumbered
> interfaces, thus not wasting any IP addresses. One caveat is that you
> need to disable uRPF,

That would be a problem for us, but I presume is fixable simply
by making that an exception to uRPF.

> another one is that the VRRP-speaking routers will
> be active/passive for egress traffic to the LAN, since the passive
> one(s) won't have an interface route to the network served.

That's not a problem.

> In any case, an VRRP implementation in BIRD could easily implement the
> same trick.

Yes. Or borrow the CARP implementation. As far as I can see, using
L2 to do this is in some ways more sensible than using L3.

http://www.ietf.org/ietf-ftp/IPR/VRRP-CISCO
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=EP01006702A3
--
Alex Bligh