Default route not picked up by OSPF?

Grzegorz Nosek root at localdomain.pl
Mon Jun 16 13:03:53 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm using bird to autoconfigure networking between a bunch of VMs
running on a bunch of hosts. It basically looks like:

- OSPF on every host (connecting host<->VMs)
- OpenVPN in tap mode across all hosts
- BGP running over that VPN

The net result is that I have all VM private addresses propagated
everywhere.

It generally works fine except during host startup, where I regularly
end up with VMs lacking the default route (which should have been
supplied via OSPF).

`birdc reload my_ospf` from the host makes the routes appear on the VMs,
so I believe bird is configured correctly (i.e. it's only a transient
issue, the routes aren't filtered out).

The hosts have static default routes.

OS is Ubuntu 12.04, using bird from the PPA (1.4.x).

Is this a known issue (e.g. with daemon start order or whatever)? Any
hints? I wish I had more diagnostics but like I said, it happens early
in the boot process.

Best regards,
  Grzegorz Nosek