High CPU load

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Apr 9 19:27:42 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 12:18:14PM +0200, Simone Morandini wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> we are running BIRD on our IXP peering platform with no problems since quite
> a while now.
> We need to activate a new peer which is expected to announce a considerable
> amount of prefixes (~100k), and the first try resulted in having nearly 100%
> cpu load, ~60-70% for BIRD and the remaining for syslog. The machine was
> hardly manageable, so after a few minutes we had to disable the peer and
> restart the deamon.
>
> The current settings actually make BIRD log everything:

Hi

As already mentioned by others, it is most likely excessive logging.
You could keep 'all' in 'log' options:

log "/var/log/bird.log" all;
log syslog all;

(although such duplicit logging to both file and syslog is IMHO useless).

But you should restrict 'debug' or 'debug protocols' options to perhaps
'{ events }'. Assuming that it is these debug messages that are fulling
your logs, You should obviously check these to see if it is not some
error or warning.