High CPU load

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 01:05:30 CEST 2015

Hi Simone,

I would guess that syslog has better buffering and load handling; so I
would try logging only to syslog--this should halve the load caused by
verbose logging.

Speaking of verbose, I've looked at BIRD logs, and I see lines like this:
 Route A received by peer Y
 Route A announced to peer X
 Route A announced to peer Y

So, you multiply the number of roues by the number of peers:
 (100 000 x 152)
 =   15 200 000

But you're logging it twice (bird and syslog), so it's now 30 million lines
of logs, to be written, just to bring up the peer. At 80 characters per
line, would be 2.3 GB data to disk.

This could cause serious load on a system with a modest HDD.

It's also possible that each line causes a logging process which takes CPU
time--do it 30 million times and the CPU time needed becomes large.

What kind of CPU or disk do you have?  Can you share?

Maybe the solution is to buy more CPU and disk performance.

--
     Jonathan