bird on Xenial doesn't restart after reboot

Neil Jerram neil at tigera.io
Sun Aug 7 01:22:09 CEST 2016

Is this the right place to report and discuss an apparent bug with
packaging in ppa:cz.nic-labs/bird ?  If not, please advise where would be
better.

If it is the right place...  I'd like to report that bird on Xenial doesn't
restart after a reboot, using bird version 1.6.0-1+xenial+1 from
http://ppa.launchpad.net/cz.nic-labs/bird/ubuntu xenial/main amd64.

It appears the package is a bit inconsistent in its init system handling:

- It installs init configuration files for SysV, upstart and systemd.

- Its postinst (install-time) script calls 'update-rc.d bird defaults' and
'invoke-rc.d bird start'.

On Xenial (which uses systemd), the invoke-rc.d call goes through to
systemd - or at least, systemctl status bird indicates running after an
'invoke-rc.d bird start', and inactive after an 'invoke-rc.d bird stop' -
but the update-rc.d call does not call on to 'systemctl enable bird'.
Hence the observation that bird is not restarted on reboot.

Thoughts?  From analogy with other packages (that are systemd-enabled when
installed), I think the fix may be as simple as:

- adding '--with systemd' to the dh invocation

- adding dh-systemd as a build dep.

Thanks,

     Neil