Dynamic cost?

Evelio VILA eveliovila at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 22:56:22 CET 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Michael McConnell <
michael at winkstreaming.com> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> There is no concept of latency by peer in any main stream routing protocol
> because latency can be influenced by traffic load, which would create a
> real mess trying to understand the traffic flow. If you know one link is
> always lower latency than the next you simply set the cost manually at
> startup.

IS-IS does have the concept of multidimensional SPF calculations, with one
of them based on link delay (see section 9.7 of iso 10589).
However I'm not aware of any modern implementation of the protocol using
anything else besides the default metric.

cheers,
Evelio