Possibility of adding bgpsec code to the BIRD repo.

Michael Baer baerm at tislabs.com
Wed Mar 23 20:55:49 CET 2016

    PT> Hi Michael.

    PT> On 2016-03-03 20:52, Michael Baer wrote:
    >> I had a question for the development team.  My group, and me
    >> specifically,
    >> have been working on adding BGPsec support into the BIRD code base.  We
    >> initially hoped to have it merged into the standard BIRD repository and
    >> are getting to the point when that would be appropriate.  The main
    >> question I have is, are you interested in looking at and/or merging the
    >> code into your repo, optimally sometime in the next 2-3 months?
    >>
    >> As background, the current version is built on the BIRD 1.4.5 code base
    >> and the BGPsec code can be included, or not, at build time.  A slightly
    >> older version of the code is available at: http://bgpsec.tislabs.com/.
    >> There is still some final updates to the protocol being completed at
    >> the
    >> IETF. I would want to update the code to that version of the protocol
    >> (which is very likely the final version) as well as merge it with the
    >> 1.5 code base over the next month or two.
    >> -Mike

    PT> Thank you and your team very much for this effort and the code. We're
    PT> interested in BGPSec and merging the code into our repo, but probably
    PT> not in the current major branch  1.x. We're planning make a release of
    PT> IPv4 and IPv6 integrated version 2.x too. There will be a native
    PT> support of RPKI and we would like to merge your code to 2.x version.
    PT> Cheers,
    PT> BIRD Team

Excellent, with the MP_REACH requirement in BGPsec, the BGPsec should
fit into a mixed ipv4/v6 code base better in any case.  The current
development BGPsec code (not the release on
https://securerouting.net/bird) is actually using most of BIRD's 1.4.5
IPV6 BGP code to do IPv4 because of MP_REACH.

Is there a target date for the 2.x release?

-Mike

--
Michael Baer
baerm at tislabs.com