Help with multiple routing tables.

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Aug 21 14:44:47 CEST 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 11:10:39PM -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a second set of eyes on the following config.  I feel like I've made
> a mistake and I'm too tired to see it.
>
>  - main_rib is Linux kernel table #254 and has all locally attached
> interfaces.  There is no default gateway in kernel table #254.
>  - default_rib is Linux kernel table #253 and only has the default gateway.
>  - I have a series of ip rules that cascade across multiple Linux kernel
> tables, 254, others, and finally 253.
>
> I want BIRD to:
>  1 Advertise the following routes via RIP:
>     - Locally attached
>     - Default learned from default_rib (253)
>  2 Learn routes from RIP and update main_rib (254)
>
> Currently bird is not doing #2.
>
> I'm not completely sure when I want to learn or not.  I think "learn" is for
> BIRD to learn about the routes from the routing table.  I don't know if I
> need to "learn" in the kernel protocol for table 254 or not.  I thought the
> locally attached routes were picked up via the direct protocol.

Hi

You are right that you should use the direct protocol, kernel 'device'
routes are not learned anyway even with 'learn' option.

> BIRD is learning about the single default route in default_rib (253) and
> advertising it via RIP to other systems on the network.

As Toke wrote, protocol (or more precisely channel) could be connected to one
table. You should use a pipe to propagate routes between table and connect
the RIP to one of the tables.