Community for small IX - problem with 4B ASN

Piotr Marciniak zboj at mnc.pl
Mon Jan 22 11:15:54 CET 2018

Hello,

I've spent a while on below docs and faced a problem with 4B ASN we use.
Bird reports an error 'when 'myas' is 4B => so above 65535.
See some testing example below:

bird> configure
Reading configuration from /etc/bird/bird.conf
/etc/bird/bird.conf, line 81: Value 165250 out of range (0-65535)

The only way this config reports no error is to set here private ASn - fe.
65250. But it will never match our real ASn.

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to enable 4B ASn for communities in Bird? Will it work
with other rouers?
2. Can we use instead private ASn just for community filters? Are they
processed corretly by other Internet routers of our peers?

Or maybe there is another work around?

Best wishes,

Peter