Bird debian repo now over https only?

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Fri Oct 12 21:43:39 CEST 2018

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018, Chris Boot wrote:

> Except it doesn't really make any odds for Debian repositories, where
> the contents is signed using GPG. Transport encryption doesn't add
> anything if the data is already signed at source, and just makes
> mirroring and caching harder.
>
> Newer versions of Apt (coming in Debian buster) have the https transport
> built-in, but until then you need to install apt-transport-https.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I agree that this https make not a big sense here.

In my opinion, when you ask a server for http it should not deliberately
redirect you to https. If somebody whats a https, then put it into the apt
source.list as https. Now I have to fix a lot of devices by hand, because
apt always ends with error and updates are working no more.

Adam Pribyl