Bird debian repo now over https only?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sun Oct 14 22:12:16 CEST 2018

Hola,

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 01:44:55PM -0500, Jonathan Stewart wrote:
> I had to install apt-transport-https on debian 9 to reach the
> repositories.
>
> Personally, i was more surprised debian didn't support HTTPS by
> default rather than surprised that BIRD is deprecating HTTP.  The
> deprecation of HTTP is happening everywhere.

The integrity of debian packages is guranteed by their hash
in the Packages file which is signed by a gpg signature.
So https is not needed for integrity and fetching from
a debian mirror does not need confidentially.

https has the disadvantage of not beeing cachable. For large
container/vm deployments that means that every requests
hits the debian infrastructure unless you create a full
mirror. So not enabling https or better continue
to offer http is a well thought decision.

Flo