BIRD 2.0.5 and 1.6.7

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Mon Aug 5 18:03:53 CEST 2019

 ❦  5 août 2019 17:24 +02, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org>:

>> >   o BGP: Dynamic BGP
>> >   o BGP: Promiscuous ASN mode
>>
>> That's great! Is there a roadmap for additional features around that?
>
> In future, I would like to implement automatic BGP neighbor discovery,
> like draft-xu-idr-neighbor-autodiscovery-10.
>
>> Notably:
>>
>>  - establish a BGP session using an interface name and the associated
>>    link-local IPv6 address,
>
> This is already supported since long time.

You mean I can do:

protocol bgp XXX {
 neighbor;
 interface eth0;
 /* ... */
}

?

>>  - implement RFC5549 (IPv4 NLRI with an IPv6 next-hop)
>
> This is supported since 2.0.0 in BGP, but there is still no support
> in Linux kernel (AFAIK) and in Kernel protocol.

Cumulus chose to implement it without support in the kernel by using
link-local IPv4 addresses and static ARP entries. I don't know how
standard and interoperable this is.
--
Choose a data representation that makes the program simple.