BIRD 2.0.5 and 1.6.7

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Aug 5 18:28:35 CEST 2019

On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 06:03:53PM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦  5 août 2019 17:24 +02, Ondrej Zajicek <santiago at crfreenet.org>:
> >> Notably:
> >>
> >>  - establish a BGP session using an interface name and the associated
> >>    link-local IPv6 address,
> >
> > This is already supported since long time.
>
> You mean I can do:
>
> protocol bgp XXX {
>  neighbor;
>  interface eth0;
>  /* ... */
> }
>
> ?

No, you need to specify neighbor link-local address
(i probably misunderstood your point):

protocol bgp XXX {
  neighbor fe80::1 external;
  interface eth0;
}

or

protocol bgp XXX {
  neighbor fe80::1%eth0 ;
}

For passive mode, you could probably use (since 2.0.5) dynamic BGP
with link-local addresses:

protocol bgp XXX {
  neighbor range fe80::/64 external;
  interface eth0;
}

(Although i did not test this feature with link-local addresses,
i thought more about IBGP route reflectors)

It is a bit ugly for a PtP link, It is true that a simple BGP protocol
that accept any peer IP from that interface could also makes sense.
I did not notice that.

> >>  - implement RFC5549 (IPv4 NLRI with an IPv6 next-hop)
> >
> > This is supported since 2.0.0 in BGP, but there is still no support
> > in Linux kernel (AFAIK) and in Kernel protocol.
>
> Cumulus chose to implement it without support in the kernel by using
> link-local IPv4 addresses and static ARP entries. I don't know how
> standard and interoperable this is.

Hmm, that seems like an ugly hack with a lot of work in userspace.