route export number discrepancy

michal.nowak at lnk.ro michal.nowak at lnk.ro
Fri Feb 1 14:12:12 CET 2019

Hi list,

We've upgraded to 2.0.3 (from 1.6.3) and observed that the number of exported routes shown in the protocol details ('show protocol all') does not match (by large) these show in 'show route export PROTOCOL count'.

In the below example we can see that the protocol export counters are at some crazy values.

# birdc show proto all DIACONESCU_V4 | grep exported
Routes: 16 imported, 0 filtered, 4294965736 exported

While we actually export only 3 routes.

# birdc show route export DIACONESCU_V4 count
BIRD 2.0.3 ready.
3 of 726536 routes for 724797 networks in table main4.

Now, what is interesting is that the exported count changes periodically. i.e.

Routes: 16 imported, 0 filtered, 4294967283 exported
Routes: 16 imported, 0 filtered, 4294967293 exported

At this stage I believe this is related to protocols that export a only a few routes (rather than full tables).

I've been able to reproduce this in lab using the production config and then ran the following tests:
1) changing export to none, reconfigure - did not clear the counters - looking at the code counters are reset on refeed, so perhaps that does not happen here
2) disabling and enabling the protocol - it briefly shows the correct count (3) and then goes back to a crazy number almost immediately.
3) restarting bird - the counters clear up and then some random time later the crazy number pops up again.

Has anyone else on the list experienced this?

I'd be happy to provide more info if needed, but at the moment not really sure what to make out of it.

Also, can I ask why the preferred routes were removed from the protocol summary in bird 2 i.e. the below?

Routes: 722830 imported, 0 filtered, 1 exported, 3648 preferred