route export number discrepancy

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Feb 2 13:50:39 CET 2019

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 03:12:12PM +0200, michal.nowak at lnk.ro wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> We've upgraded to 2.0.3 (from 1.6.3) and observed that the number of exported routes shown in the protocol details ('show protocol all') does not match (by large) these show in 'show route export PROTOCOL count'.
>
> In the below example we can see that the protocol export counters are at some crazy values.
> Has anyone else on the list experienced this?

Hi

This is likely just integer overflow during counter decrease, it is
mostly harmless. We will see how to fix it.

> I'd be happy to provide more info if needed, but at the moment not really sure what to make out of it.
>
> Also, can I ask why the preferred routes were removed from the protocol summary in bird 2 i.e. the below?

Well, it did not fit into the new design (stats are now per-channel,
while pref counter as defined in 1.6.x was bound to per-protocol stats).
It was also a bit confusing and meant something different than people
expected, so we get repeated questions about it.

But more people wanted it back and it seems that we can redefine it to
both fit to per-channel stats and be less confusing (by counting best
routes in adjacent routing table only), so it is back in the devel
code in git, with slightly different meaning.