Default config file name 1.6 vs. 2.0

Eugene Crosser crosser at average.org
Mon Jan 28 17:16:01 CET 2019

On 1/28/19 4:18 PM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:

>> I would like to suggest to change the default name of the configuration file for
>> bird version 2.0.

[...]

> Well, workaround would be to have config files in separate files and
> /etc/bird.conf just a symlink, which can be simply changed after package
> upgrade / downgrade.

When you are using automation for configuration and package management,
such approach complicates the process a lot. Instead of just "apt
install <new or old package>" automation tool would need a distribute a
script and execute it before/after upgrading the package. And it has to
be specific for this particular package. It is not insurmountable, it
just seriously complicates otherwise trivial job of replacing the package.

If changing the name upstream is not possible now, maybe a good
enough(?) solution would be to "strongly encourage" package maintainers
to specify different path for the config file? I am interested in a
debian (stretch) package myself.

Regards,

Eugene