Debian packages for BIRD2

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Mon May 13 09:52:42 CEST 2019

Bryce Wilson wrote on 12/05/2019 16:31:
> I would love to see some Bird2 packages for Ubuntu as I use Ubuntu
> Server for many of my routers. I could easily pin it to the Debian
> repositories for now though.

In this situation, you can roll you own very easily with something like:

apt install -y build-essential libssh-dev libreadline-dev libncurses-dev
flex bison checkinstall

cd /usr/src
wget ftp://bird.network.cz/pub/bird/bird-2.0.4.tar.gz
tar zxf  bird-2.0.4.tar.gz
cd bird-2.0.4/
./configure  --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
checkinstall -y

This creates a deb package: /usr/local/src/bird-2.0.3/bird_2.0.3-1_amd64.deb

**We assume Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on all systems (or at least the same OS
where the package is built and used).**

To install on a target machine:

apt install -y libssh-dev libreadline-dev libncurses-dev
dpkg -i bird_2.0.3-1_amd64.deb

  - Barry