Revalidating RPKI

Maria Matějka jan.matejka at nic.cz
Tue Oct 22 14:36:17 CEST 2019

Hello!

On October 22, 2019 5:51:56 AM GMT+02:00, Darren O'Connor <mellow.drifter at gmail.com> wrote:
>I was reading the documentation for bird2 when I came across this:
>You can validate routes (RFC 6483) using function roa_check() in filter
>and
>set it as import filter at the BGP protocol. BIRD should re-validate
>all of
>affected routes after RPKI update by RFC 6811, but we don't support it
>yet!
>You can use a BIRD's client command reload in bgp_protocol_name for
>manual
>call of revalidation of all routes.
>
>Is there a rough timeline for when bird2 will correct re-validate
>affected
>routes? As I run multiple table, is the best thing to simply run a
>cronjob
>telling bird 'reload in all' a few times a day until that support is
>added?

There is no exact time line as we found out that we want first to do substantial changes in internal API between protocols and tables w.r.t. multithreading and parallel execution plans.

Anyway, the parallel execution thing is currently under development and we suppose we'll get to automatic re-evaluation in several months. (To be honest, I said the same thing last year so don't trust me.)

One workaround you can do is to enable debug on the rpki protocol instance and reload the affected channels on roa change detected by reading the log file. This is somehow dirty, yet developing a consistent automatic route reload also eats some time, sorry for the inconvenience.

>The second item is this:
>We currently support just one cache server per protocol. However you
>can
>define more RPKI protocols generally.
>
>This doesn't seem true though, as I have two cache servers configured
>for
>both ipv4 and ipv6 and it seems to be fine?

Do you mean two cache servers for one RPKI protocol instance? I'm not now looking into the code, I may be wrong, I'd only suppose that the latter server is used exclusively.

Maria