Finding number of routes received when receive limit is hit

Cybertinus bird at cybertinus.nl
Sun Sep 8 09:00:09 CEST 2019

Hello everybody,

On my Bird 1.6.6 routers I have a BGP peer which has gone over his
specified received limit setting a couple of times in the last few
weeks. The receive limit is configured at our end to what is specified
on PeeringDB + 10%, which should be the correct number. The session I
have with them over a different IX doesn't have the same issue. So the
peer has some issue in his network on one router and I would like to
help them fix it. It would be really helpful if I could see what I
actually receive from him, or at least the number of routes I receive
from them. That could be a pointer to what is going wrong (especially if
I receive 760.000 v4 routes ;) ). I do specify the action when the
receive limit is hit, and I have that configured to 'restart'.
I've just checked the documentation and I couldn't find a way to get
this number or information. It might be 'action block', but especially
if I do receive a full table from them (by mistake) doesn't that mean
that my routers just accept whatever prefixes I receive up to the
receive limit and ignore everything above it. Or is the entire session
ignored with 'action block'?

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Kind regards,
Cybertinus