Finding number of routes received when receive limit is hit

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Mon Sep 9 23:18:49 CEST 2019

On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 09:00:09AM +0200, Cybertinus wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> On my Bird 1.6.6 routers I have a BGP peer which has gone over his specified
> received limit setting a couple of times in the last few weeks. ... It would
> be really helpful if I could see what I actually receive from him, or at least
> the number of routes I receive from them.
> number or information. It might be 'action block', but especially if I do
> receive a full table from them (by mistake) doesn't that mean that my
> routers just accept whatever prefixes I receive up to the receive limit and
> ignore everything above it.

Hello

If you restart session after hitting the limit, then obviously you cannot
know how many routes would be sent to you. You can set action block,
which ignore everything above it, like you wrote. These ignored routes
would be counted in 'import updates ignored', and logged when 'debug {
filters }' is enabled. Note that the counter does not show number of
blocked routes/networks, but number of blocked route updates - multiple
updates for one network are counted multiple times.