OSPF best route selection with same cost

Patrik Rehuš patrik.rehus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 14:36:52 CET 2020

Hello,
I have a topology with multiple parallel path to same destination. It also
use same next-hop router and each of them use default cost (not specified
in config). In "show route" I can see there is only one active route so it
probably means that BIRD don't use balancing between these routes. I cannot
see in documentation exact algorithm used for route selection. Can you
please explain me how is the best route selected when multiple paths with
same cost are available? Is name of interface or IP address next criterion
for selection? My goal is not balance traffic but I only want to
understand how path selection works on equal links.

Thank you for your explanation and help.

With best regards,
Patrik Rehus