Fwd: Rip is not working

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Sat Feb 22 14:49:52 CET 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 11:27:46AM +0530, preetamjain wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am new and exploring bird routing daemon.
>
> I am using bird 1.6.4 and updated to bird 2.0 as well.
>
> I have successfully installed bird on ubuntu 18.04 and configured the
> bird.conf
> # Generate direct routes for interfaces. Useful on BSD.
> protocol direct {
>    ipv4;
>    disabled;
> }
>

> protocol rip {
>    ipv4{
> interface "ensp011";
> interface "ens025:;
> }
> }
>
> This has made my PC a switch with 2 interfaces , where i have connected
> to cisco switch with two ports in RIP configuration.
> The network in updating in my PC where bird is installed but rip is not
> getting updated on cisco because bird is not sending response packets
>
> If I enbale OSPF on the interface is it is fine, i.e RIP protocol works
> only if OSPF is enabled on the same interface as RIP interface

Hi

Not sure what is the issue, but note that you have disabled 'Direct'
protocol. RIP protocol implementation does not generate interface routes
directly (in contrast to OSPF protocol), therefore it is necessary to
have direct routes generated by Direct protocol.

That would explain why enabling OSPF fixes that - OSPF as a side effect
also generates direct routes.