Direct protocol affects BGP

Irene Lalioti irene.lalioti at restena.lu
Tue Mar 24 08:51:33 CET 2020

Hello guys!

Just because today we encountered again the same issue with direct, I am
very curious on this:

I totally agree with what you guys explained about the need of the
direct protocol. Once we set it then reachability works and all is ok.

Our big question is why was it working before the moment it lost the BGP
session?? In other words: the set up :

RS - BGP session with the ROUTER - and behind the Router we have Caches.

Before the router was announcing to the RS(BIRD v2.0.7) the caches and
that they are reachable by the router. Without any direct.

Until one day we lose the bgp session, and we can ping the caches from
the RS but not reachable . Once we set it as direct on the bird then all
is fine.

Question is why was it working before without direct ?? :=)

Many thanks for your time!

Have a great day all!

Irene.

--