Unable to get Bird 2 to listen on the BGP socket

Bernd Naumann bena at spreadshirt.net
Thu Sep 3 13:49:48 CEST 2020

On 03.09.20 00:57, Skyler Mäntysaari wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I’m fairly certain that my issue is something rather small, or stupid but I’m unable to get Bird to listen on the 179 port.
>
> The other side has direct in the protocol definition which is correct, and I tried this side with that as well but it only says “as213021_hel_node: Waiting for fe80:10::1%wg1 to become my neighbor” so I don’t really have more clues.
>
> I did try to do strace and look for bind events, but couldn’t find any except for the control socket.
>
> My config can be seen here: https://dpaste.com/6P6NAUPNX <https://dpaste.com/6P6NAUPNX> & peer config: https://dpaste.com/HJ3SNL8RH <https://dpaste.com/HJ3SNL8RH>

Hi Skyler,

Do you have assigned "fe80:10::2" to `wg1`? (Just to make sure...) I
think otherwise bird would not be able to bind to the address.
And you have configured `AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0`?

Obvious question #2: You can ping6 the peer on fe80:10::1%wg1 ?

I would also enable "direct" for the peer, as you are directly connected
  via the tunnel.

Good luck and have fun with dn42!

Bernd