Understanding BIRD log messages

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Tue Mar 1 09:25:21 CET 2022

Hello!

On 3/1/22 5:39 AM, Jon Langemak wrote:
> Im trying to make sure I understand the log messages Im seeing during
> BGP convergence events.  Was hoping someone could validate what the
> following messages meant...
>
> added - A route was received from the peer listed and added to the RIB
>
> added [best] - A route was received from the peer listed and added to
> the RIB and is now the best option in the RIB
>
> removed - A route originally received from the peer listed was removed

... and was not the best.

> removed [replaced] - Im not clear on what this one actually means

and was replaced as a best route by another route.

> ignored - A route was received from the peer listed but ignored.  Does
> ignored in this case mean that it wasn't put in the RIB?  If so - does
> that imply that it was filtered?

This typically means that the route has been already there.

> Is there a list of what all these log messages mean?  Also - I assume
> that the < and > signify direction - that is received or sent but
> clarification on that would be good as well.

The > sign means receiving a route (import), < is export.

This listing is anyway an unstable debug output and in 3.0 it will look
a bit different. There is no documentation as for now. We may try to
document it or even do some interface for subscribing to this
notifications (no promise yet), anyway this kind of output may change
between versions without notice.

Maria