BIRD 3.0-alpha0

Ondrej Filip feela at network.cz
Wed Mar 2 10:53:42 CET 2022

Dear BURD users,

We have something special for you today. We're releasing a
multi-threaded BIRD version 3.0-alpha0 for public testing. Protocols
BGP, RPKI and Pipe got their own channels which promises faster
convergence and better usage of system resources. Version 3.0-alpha0
is based on the previous 2.0.8 version and some enhancements from
2.0.9 will make it into the multi-threaded branch later on.

There is also a blogpost about performance comparison we have recently
done between 3.0-alpha0 and 2.0.8 (the previous single-threaded
version) and you can read there also other articles about the
multi-threaded version.

We do not recommend running this version in production setups, yet we
deeply appreciate any bugreports, including memory footprint problems.
You can download the tgz package at the following URLs:

https://bird.network.cz/?download&tdir=3.0pre/
ftp://bird.network.cz/pub/bird/3.0pre/

Main credits goes to Maria! Thank you!

	Ondrej

Version 3.0-alpha0 (2022-02-07)
   o Removal of fixed protocol-specific route attributes
   o Asynchronous route export
   o Explicit table import / export hooks
   o Partially lockless route attribute cache
   o Thread-safe resource management
   o Thread-safe interface notifications
   o Thread-safe protocol API
   o Adoption of BFD IO loop for general use
   o Parallel Pipe protocol
   o Parallel RPKI protocol
   o Parallel BGP protocol
   o Lots of refactoring
   o Bugfixes and improvements as they came along