BIRD is taking too much time to converge 106362 prefixes from a non-client iBGP neighbor

saifullah at fiberathome.net saifullah at fiberathome.net
Thu Apr 13 07:33:06 CEST 2023

Dear All,

Please help me regarding this.

Thanks & Regards

Abu Nasar Md. Saifullah

From: saifullah at fiberathome.net <saifullah at fiberathome.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2023 10:19 PM
To: 'bird-users at network.cz' <bird-users at network.cz>
Subject: BIRD is taking too much time to converge 106362 prefixes from a
non-client iBGP neighbor

Dear Concern,

After installing BIRD, I made iBGP neighbor with 8 routers. From a
non-client neighbor it should receive about 106362 prefixes but I found it
is taking huge time to process and converge the mentioned prefixes. It took
about 35 minutes to process, converge and advertise prefixes to other
neighbors. Is it normal behavior or am I missing sometime to make faster
convergence? Kindly suggest me.

Related configuration parts are given below (actual IP and names are
changed):

router id <local_ip>;

vpn4 table vpntab4;

template bgp template_rr_non_client {

      local <local_ip> as as_number;

      neighbor as as_number;

      vpn4 mpls {

              table vpntab4;

              import all;

              export all;

      };

}

protocol bgp <non_client_neighbor> from template_rr_non_client {

      neighbor non_client_neighbor_ip;

}

template bgp template_rr_client2 {

      local <local_ip> as as_number;

      neighbor as as_number;

      rr client;

      rr cluster id <local_ip>;

      vpn4 mpls {

              table vpntab4;

              import all;

              export all;

      };

}

#

protocol bgp client1 from template_rr_client2 {

      neighbor client1_ip;

.

.

.

}

protocol bgp client7 from template_rr_client2 {

      neighbor client7_ip;

}

Thanks & Regards

Saifullah Nasar