BIRD is taking too much time to converge 106362 prefixes from a non-client iBGP neighbor

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Thu Apr 13 16:16:27 CEST 2023

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 10:19:29PM +0600, saifullah at fiberathome.net wrote:
> Dear Concern,
>
> After installing BIRD, I made iBGP neighbor with 8 routers. From a
> non-client neighbor it should receive about 106362 prefixes but I found it
> is taking huge time to process and converge the mentioned prefixes. It took
> about 35 minutes to process, converge and advertise prefixes to other
> neighbors. Is it normal behavior or am I missing sometime to make faster
> convergence? Kindly suggest me.

Hi

That is definitely not a normal behavior. Especially if you have no
filters, it should be orders of magnitude faster. You wrote you receive
106k prefixes from the non-client, do you also receive prefixes from
clients? Are you sure that BIRD was working full-time (full single core
cpu load) during that 35 minutes? If you monitor number of received
routes during that time (using 'show route count table vpntab4' or 'show
protocols all <non_client_neighbor>'), you can see if all these prefixes
are already here or if they arrive continuously dyring that time.