rename symbols

Maria Matejka maria.matejka at nic.cz
Tue Jan 24 06:57:01 CET 2023

Hello!

> For example I may want to refactor the naming scheme for
> protocols/tables in my bird config. But when I apply the new config with
> the new names, such renamed protocols will be recreated or restarted,
> which may be undesired. So if I could rename protocols/tables in advance
> and then load the new config, I can hope than no changes would be found
> and the there would be no interruptions.

What I was thinking about some time ago, was not this kind of "renaming
from CLI" but a special clause "renamed XYZ to ABC" which could be put
at the end (!) of the new config. This would solve the problem with
rewriting the symbol in-place which is ugly.

Yet there are problems (mostly in v3) where e.g. the protocol name is
pre-formatted into other strings, effectively forcing us to walk through
the code and find all these cases while renaming. We don't want BIRD to
errorneously log about a protocol with its old name.

All in all, I'd not opposed to this idea, yet from my current POV, the
changes needed are too high for now to have it a single patch or so.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Maria