rename symbols

Ondrej Zajicek santiago at crfreenet.org
Tue Jan 24 07:33:24 CET 2023

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 06:57:01AM +0100, Maria Matejka via Bird-users wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > For example I may want to refactor the naming scheme for
> > protocols/tables in my bird config. But when I apply the new config with
> > the new names, such renamed protocols will be recreated or restarted,
> > which may be undesired. So if I could rename protocols/tables in advance
> > and then load the new config, I can hope than no changes would be found
> > and the there would be no interruptions.
>
> What I was thinking about some time ago, was not this kind of "renaming from
> CLI" but a special clause "renamed XYZ to ABC" which could be put at the end
> (!) of the new config. This would solve the problem with rewriting the
> symbol in-place which is ugly.

Hello

I thing that the most elegant way how to handle renaming of objects
during reconfiguration is to allow multiple names / aliases. There could
be be more symbols pointing to given object (but the object points back
to its primary name).

Reconfiguration to rename objects could be done in two steps - in the
first step, the user would add alias for the new name.  In the second step,
the old name would be removed.