Best practice Route Reflector

Douglas Fischer fischerdouglas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 16:40:25 CEST 2023

>From what I could see from your questions, the issues you have been facing
are more related to the good use of IGP (eg OSPF, ISIS) and redistribution
of routes through BGP than with the use or not of route-reflector.

If you don't have an IGP "to call your own", something you REALLY trust,
that's the first thing you have to address.

Comment: I don't know why, but in the last few months I've seen a lot of
colleagues coming up with ideas like:
 - "I'm not going to use anything other than BGP. I don't need IGP for
anything... I use next-hop-self everywhere.".
And it scares me so much. If this is not your case, disregard!

Next step is to decide what you are going to redistribute via IGP(OSPF or
ISIS) and what you are going to redistribute via iBGP.
Each case is different...
But for ISPs and ITPs scenarios I usually suggest that OSPF redistribute
EXCLUSIVELY the Loopacks subnets and the PTP subnets between the routers
themselves (directly connected of internal networks).
And in iBGP I recommend redistributing static routes (for specific cases)
and external PTP Subnets (Customers, Providers, IXPs).
Use, abuse, and trust on your own marking of BGP-Communities and OSPF tags
to properly control the filtering and redistribution of these routes.

After all this is well defined, here comes the intelligence part in
filtering the routes that will or will not be redistributed to each
RR-Client, and maybe some aggregation/summarization strategy.

I apologize if I sounded too complacent or verbose.
I wish your efforts bring good results.

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação