Best practice Route Reflector

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Tue Jun 20 17:45:58 CEST 2023

Hello Douglas,
`
Douglas Fischer <fischerdouglas at gmail.com> writes:

>  - "I'm not going to use anything other than BGP. ...."

I know where this is coming from, because we also came from
there. Forget even the notion of next-hop self, in container (!) and
application environments, BGP that gives you networking "for free". You
can easily do things by "just deploying bgp".

And why would you want to care about anything like OSPF or any other IGP
in the first place? The problem you want to solve is:

   I have a couple of hosts that want to share their IP addresses (in
   link-local only scenarios) or their own attached routes.

This works perfectly, especially if you do eBGP (!) within your
network. Every node is simply an ASN.

Obviously, this comes with the drawback of using tons of private ASN,
but in practice, this works pretty well.

If only ASN were 128 bit as well, then anyone could use their range of
official/public ASNs ...

Best regards,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch