Adding support for an experimental IPv6 Hop By Hop Extension header

Nico Schottelius nico.schottelius at ungleich.ch
Mon Feb 19 12:39:48 CET 2024

Hello Paul,

"Mccherry, Paul (Postgraduate Researcher)" <p.mccherry at lancaster.ac.uk> writes:

> I am a Phd Researcher at Lancaster university researching the security of the UK Internet infrastructure.
>
> I need to add support for a proposed experimental IPv6 Hop By Hop Extension Header to a routers Kernel to test my theories. I am
> more a server/network engineer and researcher than I am a programmer but I am able to write in Python and use scripting languages.
> Can anyone recommend tools and Router emulation software where one could add support for an experimental IPv6 Hop By Hop
> Extension Header in order to test the methodology ?

scapy (https://scapy.net/) is likely going to be your friend for that
type of research. I did my thesis on NAT64, so I assume you will have a
lot of fun coding that.

> If Bird is unable to provide such a testbed, can anyone recommend another solution. ? However, I do think a capability to provide
> researchers with an easy method to test new IPv6 Extension headers would be really useful considering the takeup of IPv6 and the
> future of the internet.

While we do a lot of things with bird, I am not sure why you'd need it
for your research, because it is mainly a control plane utility,
forwarding is still done in kernel.

Best regards,

Nico

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch